Spears are pole-like weapons that usually consist of two main components; a long shaft from which the weapon is wielded, and a bladed head used for striking. Along with swords and bows and arrows, spears were used by most armies in throughout the world of Narnia, though the design of individual spears could vary quite widely.
Aside from battle, spears could also used for hunting.
Notable uses of spears
- Tarkaan Anradin was carrying a lance when he arrived at the hut of Arsheesh and Shasta.
- One of the Duffers hurled a spear at the crew of the Dawn Treader to prove that their murderous intentions were not bluffs.
- Spears were among the items kept in the towers built by King Tirian's grandfather to guard the Lantern Waste.
- Soldiers from Calormen used spears in the Battle of Stable Hill to kill Jewel and a boar, along with other Narnians.
- When Aslan called the stars down from the sky following the Battle of Stable Hill, they were revealed to be humanoid in form, and carried spears that gleamed like "white-hot metal".
Types of spears
Halberds are similar to spears, but the normally triangular or diamond-shaped spearpoint is replaced by an axe head. The Archenland soldiers who accompanied Prince Cor on his visit to the Hermit of the Southern March carried halberds.
Tridents are like spears, except that they have three points. Sea People were said to have tridents, who used them for hunting, as tridents are traditionally used for spear fishing, but they probably also used them as weapons when going to war with other sea creatures.
- HHB I
- VDT, IX
- HHB, XIV
- SC, V